Monday, April 27, 2009

not so much a mystery after all....


High of 105 in the sun today (98 in the shade). Set the blocks into position as shown - level off side to side (front to back is not important). Bolt the 4' sections connecting the back sides and the front sides. Bolt the 3' pieces connecting the front to the back. As most folks figured out...I was building a rack for one of my 123 watt solar panels. Kind of like a heavy duty erector set. I've been pushing my luck - what with a $540 solar panel just laying on the ground propped up on a couple of cinder blocks. Now I have a semi-portable rack to anchor it firmly until I get around to creating a mount that will track the sun. For now, I'm getting plenty of juice as it is. The panel had mounting holes in the underside of the frame that lined up perfectly with the holes in the angle iron. Finished just in time as we have gusty winds tonight.


Baked a loaf of Field Lab Bread for my friends who fed me last night. Dropped it off along with a DVD of some of my recent press. I apologized to their ugly dog for calling him ugly yesterday. Spent a bit of time indoors this afternoon figuring out how to add all my recent press, including my NPR audio interview to a DVD. The Texas Country Reporter episode will be up on YouTube around December. It has to make the local and national rounds before they post it online. Dropped off a DVD to Ronald as well - he's been right in giving me a hard time about slacking off a bit but I am determined not to become a victim of Terlingua Time. Ronald's quote of the day is, " You gotta slow down to catch up to folks in Terlingua." Ronald is the "King of Terlingua Time". but he's happy as a clam so no fault there.

Finished off the day prepping for tomorrows pour. All the tools and materials are lined up and ready to go. Withdrew 50 gallons of water from the bank (my gully washer storage tank ) this evening for the concrete mix. Just hope old Walter fires up without too many pulls or another rope break tomorrow.

8 comments:

Allen Hare said...

Cool! I should've known it was for a solar panel. I can't wait to see how you build a rack that can track the sun.

k5via said...

I was wondering how much your solar panels cost, is this the unit that produces 8 amps ? bob

Thunder Britches said...

Please be careful,I dont know how you do it?--all that work in such extreme heat? Ive lived in TX and worked construction most of my life resulting in two different full blown HEAT STROKES..messed me up Big Time!! I think that has to do what is wrong with me!? Seriously--Heat Stroke is deadly and so easy to just accidentally slip into.
Cowboy Boots--are just silly. But the Cowboy Hat--is a lifesaver!!--glad to see you wear one of those religiously(portable head-mounted anti-thermal shade device).
As good a builder as you are Im surprised you havent constructed more "Shade Areas" around the house?

Anonymous said...

If you want it to track the sun just plant a sun flower on it. They do a complete 360 every day.

Bob from Athens said...

That anonymous is me, I thought I put my name on it.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Flag Discounter said...

Thunder Britches,

Sun stroke is a serious thing to watch out for but I think John is careful and does the heavy work in the morning and evening when it is not so bad.

He survived last summer without any problems.

Bob O said...

Yep, sunstroke can sneak up on you, but you appear to have the working rhythms down pat. Keep hydrated--we used to say that if you ain't peein', you should be drinkin'!

Sorry to see you're getting some anon comments that must be deleted. Another outbreak of the internet anonymity flu.

Speaking of flu, do you all have any observations one way or another on this swine flu outbreak/hype/possibility? It's hard to tell from back here in the East. Might be worth a note or two. Actually, you're in just about the best place to avoid it! Few people and no swine (besides the anon internet type).

Question: will you use small photoreceptors to control your tracking solar array? Or something simpler?