Saturday, December 8, 2012

say CHEESE!

Also celebrated 5 years in the desert by trying my hand at cheese making yesterday.  Didn't curd up like the YouTube tutoral I watched...but still ended up with just over a pound of cheese from a gallon of milk.  Thanks to my Ustream friend Grovesgal, I came across this site that should do the trick.  http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-homemade-mozzarella-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-174355

Had two strikes against me from the start...no microwave for the final fixing - and turns out the brand of rennett I was using required a bigger dose.  Not the mozzarella I was looking for...more of a soft goat cheese texture.  Presenting Field Lab Basil Jalapeno Cheese.
59,78,36,0,B, .12

9 comments:

Bruce S said...

It may not be what you were hoping for but it still looks tasty. Maybe try it with a habanero cracker and a pint Guinness.

JohnnyM said...

I've made cheese twice this year, first batch I flubbed, 2 nd batch goats milk, came out perfect. Both extremely hands off & easy. Neither looked like yours which sounds good.

remmij said...

you may be cheesed out, but you might glance at this one for the next time - he is using pre-processed curd and making a larger quantity than you would probably do at one time. The thing you may be interested in is how he processes the final product & the brine bath -
seems that might be an opportunity to introduce some herb flavoring too - adding them to the bath?
Anyway, he seems to end up with a decent, silky mozzarella without using a microwave.

cheese

Dani said...

Bet it tasted good on crackers even if it wasn't the consistency you were aiming for :)

Todd said...

Good man John. Doing gods work no doubt. Tina and I plan to come to see you this year sometime. We will visit my Grandmother near San Angelo and then come down if you will have us.

Aaron said...

I sorta dig the chevre so that looks good. I hope your next try comes out more to your liking. Some people use vinegar as their curdling agent instead of rennet.

just.Bob said...

Ceramic knife from Harbor Freight?

John Wells said...

good eye, shawn.

Allen Hare said...

Another great Field Lab enterprise! Looks good. I hope it was edible, and that you enjoyed it. Can we look for this in The Field Lab Mercantile soon?