Tuesday, August 8, 2017

end of an era...














Looks like my 9.5 year old AGM's have finally lost their will to live...or take a charge.  These (the two batteries on the right) were part of my original Frankenstein set up that powered lighting and ventilation (including the swamp cooler) in my hut.  I did this with a split system to compare a couple of lead acid batteries to a couple of AGM's.  The 2 batteries on the left are second generation - the originals died almost 4 years ago.  This mess is still charged with my original Harbor Freight solar panels.  Good news is Ron Mohr of Green Desert Living is about to get in another load of surplus AGM's so it will soon be time to clear the cobwebs and reboot (and rewire) this system.  86,99,73,0,B

4 comments:

Patricia said...

I think there wall hangers!!!

Ocotillo

Larry G said...

So you can measure the ability of the batteries to take and hold a charge. How about the solar panels? Do you measure their output? How do you know when they are "done" and does a visual inspection tell you anything about their condition? do they fog over - over time?

John Wells said...

I check my solar panels when they are new to make sure they have the rated output..but that's about it. So far the HF panels seem to be able to charge my batteries fine and still read about 21 volts in full sun - although they most likely aren't putting out as many amps. There is really no long term data available on them as they were pretty new to the market about the time I bought mine. Physically they still look fine and there is no "fogging". In general, amorphous solar panels will lose about 1% of their rated output per year. Most solar panel manufacturers provide a 25 year warranty (no warranty offered for the HF panels), which means that power output should not be less than 80% of rated power after 25 years. When I hit the 10 year mark with mine in December I will check them thoroughly to see how they are really doing. Sounds like a future YouTube video to me...

Larry G said...

I think you are definitely on to something by youtubing life and technology at the Field Lab.. and droning adds yet another element to it... looking forward to more!